Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-05-01 19:49:23

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

gobblely goop

Anytime I walk into a meeting and hear this gobblely-goop, I cringe – but it ain’t wrong.

About a week ago, someone accidentally printed about 300 copies of gobblely goop text.

You state no facts to what VEW has to say just more GOP gobblelygoop. You are blatantly obvious as being the not so bright one.

And many more. I suppose the acorn gobbledygook, gobbledy-gook or gobbledy gook (is it not?) has the stem gobble in it, for many if not most of us, but this reshaping gives us ly and goop as well. I’m not sure any of my established meanings for gook fits in the acorn at all (though it is the kind of word/stem that somehow is a natural fit for its meaning here), but goop feels meaningful in this context with its standard meaning.
garbledygook is the classic here, and a significantly better eggcorn, for me. The Internet abounds with garbledygoop as well:

The site never looked bad during infection; there was just some base64 encoded PHP garbledygoop that would sometimes force a redirect to the infected site.

Surely there are other gobbledygook reshapings out there, but I will leave it to others of you, if you are interested, to track them down.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2015-05-01 19:53:29)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2015-05-05 17:42:41

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: gobblely goop

Variations abound, often with a gloop ending. Here’s just a few:

I thought about tuning into Fox, but changed my mind, because I just wanted to enjoy the few hours I would have without having to listen to their gabbley-goop

All this Goggledygoop is liable to make some new guy buy the wrong guitar when what he really needs to do is just admit an ash guitar would …

You have just seen in Australia the disastrous consequences of a cobbledecook minority government stitched together by Gillard = such as is …

#3 2015-05-06 03:24:00

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: gobblely goop

Since the meaning is one of meaninglessness and confusion, the variations (and the original acorn) are all highly iconic.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer