Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2008-05-20 16:39:53

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

garbledygook for gobbledygook

ugh. Spotted this on a page, then lost it. I’m tired. way past my bedtime and I lost the page I was gonna quote. Sorry. Anyway though, I saw this, I swear I did.

#2 2008-05-20 18:53:46

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: garbledygook for gobbledygook

You certainly did, Craig, Google’s crawling with them. For me it’s a classic eggcorn but my dialect discriminates clearly between gobble and garble and many US dialects seem, to my ear, not to. Even so, the written form makes it pretty unmistakeable – here’s some examples, and sleep well…

It will use a phrase key from you to encrypt your favorite image into what appears to be pure garbledygook. And, of course, only the supplied phrase can …
library.n0i.net/.../applications/graphics/ gimp/teach%20yourself%20gimp%20in%2024%20hours/ch20/20-04.html – 11k – Cached

Clear communication Our advice is never wrapped up in technobabble or garbledygook; we give concise advice that’s direct and to the point. ...
jacksonbegg.com/Company.html – 15k – Cached

So I go through their 4 page registration form, which is plastered in all sorts of legalese garbledygook (yes, that’s a word!), filling in the inordinate …
kamilkisiel.blogspot.com/ 2007/09/access-to-downloads.html – 53k – Cached

This is not some kind of gibberish, this is not some angel language, like some people like to say it’s just a garbledygook, now if it’s that then how in the …
www.fbgbible.org/A0807-021708.rtf

#3 2008-05-20 19:03:16

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: garbledygook for gobbledygook

Personally, I like the keen imagery of the reshaped expression better than the original. Too bad the original has a literary origin which will probably serve to preserve it.

Board footer