Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-05-20 11:39:53

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

garbledygook for gobbledygook

ugh. Spotted this on a page, then lost it. I’m tired. way past my bedtime and I lost the page I was gonna quote. Sorry. Anyway though, I saw this, I swear I did.

#2 2008-05-20 13:53:46

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: garbledygook for gobbledygook

You certainly did, Craig, Google’s crawling with them. For me it’s a classic eggcorn but my dialect discriminates clearly between gobble and garble and many US dialects seem, to my ear, not to. Even so, the written form makes it pretty unmistakeable – here’s some examples, and sleep well…

It will use a phrase key from you to encrypt your favorite image into what appears to be pure garbledygook. And, of course, only the supplied phrase can …
library.n0i.net/.../applications/graphics/ gimp/teach%20yourself%20gimp%20in%2024%20hours/ch20/20-04.html – 11k – Cached

Clear communication Our advice is never wrapped up in technobabble or garbledygook; we give concise advice that’s direct and to the point. ...
jacksonbegg.com/Company.html – 15k – Cached

So I go through their 4 page registration form, which is plastered in all sorts of legalese garbledygook (yes, that’s a word!), filling in the inordinate …
kamilkisiel.blogspot.com/ 2007/09/access-to-downloads.html – 53k – Cached

This is not some kind of gibberish, this is not some angel language, like some people like to say it’s just a garbledygook, now if it’s that then how in the …
www.fbgbible.org/A0807-021708.rtf

#3 2008-05-20 14:03:16

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: garbledygook for gobbledygook

Personally, I like the keen imagery of the reshaped expression better than the original. Too bad the original has a literary origin which will probably serve to preserve it.

Board footer