Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-08-08 05:50:17

DavidB

Core Competencies - for Core Competences ?

http://www.totalaccman.co.uk/about-3.html

Its a modest first attempt – does it count ?

db

Bi-lingual English / French amateur etymologist and all-round pedant

#2 2007-08-08 12:03:38

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

Re: Core Competencies - for Core Competences ?

In my time in corporations, I’ve always heard “core competencies” (1.9 million Google hits)—never “competences” (322,000 hits)

“competency” is the noun I’m familiar with; it’s actually older than “competence” (1596 tvs 1632), though the newer “competence” is the preferred in Merriam-Webster’s College (tenth). (indicated by the fact that the only definition given for “competency” is the cross-reference to “competence”).

I was familiar w/ “competency”—He’s got some competency in math, but struggles a lot with science.

I think this is just an example of two alternate forms of the same essential noun.

This reminds me of the computer-industry phrase I hated when I worked at InformationWeek: “compute intensive.”

“Compute” is a verb—grammatically, it should be “computation intensive” bcs you do lots of computations.

But the term is established—if you tried to change it, nobody would know what you mean.

#3 2015-11-29 03:42:02

DavidB

Better late than never ! OK, I’m learning …

Since we’re on pet hates, when I worked in industry my personal bête noire was when our HR Director referred to ‘renumeration’ packages – meaning of course ‘remuneration’. But actually, since he spent most of his time firing large numbers of people perhaps the term wasn’t so wide of the mark.

Bi-lingual English / French amateur etymologist and all-round pedant

#4 2015-11-30 04:31:29

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Yes, renumeration for remuneration has been mentioned a couple of times in the Forum. I’m sure I’ve heard it in the wild, too. It’s a dandy!

Board footer