Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-12-14 14:47:21

VoiceofDuum

Co-pathetic

A professional therapist of my acquaintance (not mine) used this twice in emails. Here’s the context:

“If all is co pathetic with our VP…”
”...please, trust that extra questions will be asked to insure that all is co-pathetic.”

After the second one, I suggested she might have meant “copacetic.” She expressed amazement and indicated the expression was common in her craft:

“The Mental health field has been in error for years. Terminology spelled that way!”

I kinda like it … the world could use more shared pathos.

Last edited by VoiceofDuum (2015-12-14 14:48:46)

#2 2015-12-14 23:39:35

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Co-pathetic

Nice find, Voice. There are enough instances of this one on the web (see examples below) to make me think that this is an established eggcorn. David Bird, by the way, spotted this one in 2012.

Examples:

Blog post: “Ali Lohan claims that everything is copathetic ”

Thread on Canadian politics: “I’m sure that in CCPA’s eyes, everything is copathetic.”

Pet forum post: “We go to the dogpark for about an hour every morning and usually everything is copathetic.”

Software forum: “everything is copathetic again. Any clues”

Dating exchange: “just the good vibe of being near someone attractive in all facets that is copathetic w/ my views” [truer than the poster knows]

British car forum: “When you are satisfied that all is copathetic. close the boot lid and let it set ”

Hardware forum: “So, I was hoping I could get people to help me figure out what to do to keep the computer running well and to make sure everything is copathetic ”

Cruise discussion bulletin board: “He says that if it’s not healed in a month, to see him again. So once again I hope for the best. Otherwise all is copathetic.”

Comment on sports article: “Had a little bit of a bad spot, but all is copathetic again.”

UFO forum: “What is ours is ours, and theirs, ours also. Other than that everything is co-pathetic ”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2015-12-15 00:24:24

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: Co-pathetic

VoiceofDuum wrote:

...She expressed amazement and indicated the expression was common in her craft:
“The Mental health field has been in error for years. Terminology spelled that way”

Here is another example of jargon confusion in the mental health field.

And welcome to the Eggcorn Forum, VoiceofDuum!

Board footer