Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-10-06 17:34:53

Hericane

Bunker down

I learned about eggcorns last week, and was pleased to encounter one in the wild today. “At this point, to prepare for the major strike coming on Friday, Floridians should continue to evacuate or bunker down, depending on local advisories.” This was in a little article on Business Insider on MSN regarding the possibility that Hurricane Matthew could pummel South Florida twice. I like bunker down, although it might be better-suited for a tornado, than a hurricane packing a powerful storm surge.

#2 2016-10-07 03:46:31

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: Bunker down

“Bunker down” has previously been discussed on this website here, here, and here.

I recommend doing this whenever considering posting here: Go to the second search field on the Eggcorn Database page, the one marked “Google Search”, and see if your proposed eggcorn (or other treat) has already been discussed. If so, you’ll probably want to add to an existing relevant thread rather than proliferating new threads for the same eggcorn. (It took me awhile to figure this out, so now I mention it to newbies as needed to facilitate their assimilation.)

Welcome to the wonderful world of eggcorns and to the Eggcorn Forum, Hericane!

#3 2016-10-11 20:20:53

David Bird
Eggcornista

Here’s another way to lie low, especially if you’re short of supplies or otherwise needy.

They were hungered down in an interior bathroom riding out the storm. Pretty scary stuff.
http://hikerbirch.blogspot.ca/2011_04_01_archive.html

Orchidguy, I can just picture you hungered down in the potato peels, gnawing on bones.
http://www.canadiangardening.com/forum/ … p?p=231110

We are currently hungered down in Dixie Cove on Hohoae Island, just east of Union Island in Kyuquot Sound.
http://brucewarren.blogspot.ca/2006/07/day-25-26.html

Hunker is a great word – fit maybe for the list of favourite words. It is nevertheless sufficiently obscure to be slotted into vaguely similar sounding spaces in which it doesn’t quite fit. Many on the web admit to having “a hunkering for” some toothsome tidbit or other. It is also bleeding into places where hunch would be more apt. “He was hunkered over the steering wheel.”

Let’s see, any other mutations out there?

I too am bungered down today, just washed my floors and cleaned up a bit.
http://materfamiliasknits.blogspot.ca/2 … ching.html

#4 2016-10-12 09:53:21

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I’m far more familiar with the noun hunkers, meaning ‘haunches’ and from which I’ve always assumed ‘hunkering down’ etc were derived. Online etymological sources disagree but I remain unmoved. Here’s a variant which suggests an ample goose settling for the night, though perhaps not an entirely quiet one:

I was unable to see well enough to get our of my room so I had to honker down with a towel over my face for 15 minutes till I could get out.

Following my dumpster exercise, I honkered down to watch the documentary film ‘The Nature of Existence’.

A change of vowel introduces an unexpected element of desire:

If the snow is falling, animals tend to hanker down to conserve energy and avoid being attacked by predators.

Every reader likes to hanker down with a good book and their beverage of choice – be it tea, coffee, or something a little stronger.

This one seems to suggest an eggcornish reinterpretation of anchor.

The worst thing is to end up staying hankered down to your hotel room because you aren’t feeling well.

Last edited by Peter Forster (2016-10-12 10:02:20)

Board footer