Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2016-10-23 18:25:39

Wordsmyth

track for tract

As in a real estate residential development.

#2 2016-10-24 10:42:22

burred
Eggcornista

Re: track for tract

Welcome to the forum, Wordsmyth. Despite its spritely, deceptive facade, this site sits atop unknowably vast underground galleries where past generations of eggcorns are engraved. Track for tract has there a cute little niche, carved low these 11 years.

It’s generally a good practice to see whether a new discovery has been entered before, and to see what has been said about it. To look for previous entries, one might click on “Eggcorn Database” in the menu above. Your new eggcorn, as well as the acorn from which it was born, should be entered in each of the search slots on that page. That is in order to search both this forum, and the haloed ground of the Database. But repeat entries are not discouraged; they are a measure of the prevalence of that particular mutation.

#3 2016-10-25 04:06:59

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

burred wrote:

But repeat entries are not discouraged; they are a measure of the prevalence of that particular mutation.

I find repeat entries on the same eggcorn (as opposed to people just adding comments to existing threads) a bit annoying. They make it somewhat more laborious to find all the relevant info on a word or phrase. And I’m skeptical about whether repeat entries really are a measure of prevalence. There are other factors that determine how many repeat entries an eggcorn may have, such as whether those who happen to have something to say on that particular eggcorn eschew or pursue repeat entries.

#4 2016-10-26 23:09:03

Wordsmyth

burred wrote:

“That is in order to search both this forum, and the haloed* ground of the Database.”

You are very kind to this newbie to the forum. I will henceforth search for prior entries as directed instead of manually looking at several prior years’ entries before entering my own.

*I quoted your penultimate sentence to congratulate you on your intended wordplay of “haloed” for “hallowed.”
Um, it was intended, wasn’t it?

#5 2016-10-26 23:22:18

Wordsmyth

Dixon Wragg wrote:

There are other factors that determine how many repeat entries an eggcorn may have, such as whether those who happen to have something to say on that particular eggcorn eschew or pursue repeat entries.

Glad to see that Cotati is still a viable Calif. town. I grew up in San Francisco and drove past it en route to other venues, stopping to dine at the Red Mill a couple of times.
Digression aside, I appreciate your opinion on repeat entries. Will take it into consideration in my future contributions.

#6 2016-10-27 05:49:25

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Wordsmyth wrote:

Glad to see that Cotati is still a viable Calif. town. I grew up in San Francisco and drove past it en route to other venues, stopping to dine at the Red Mill a couple of times.
Digression aside, I appreciate your opinion on repeat entries. Will take it into consideration in my future contributions.

Cheers, Homey!

#7 2016-10-28 13:16:05

kem
Eggcornista

I echo the welcome.

I would also encourage you to give some examples in your postings. It helps us to understand the substitution contexts which you are thinking about.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#8 2016-10-29 00:15:08

Wordsmyth

Thank you both! I’m beginning to feel more at home each time I log in and read your posts to me and others. You are both amazingly erudite. Playing with words is my passion, so I’m obviously in a good place to indulge it.

#9 2016-10-29 14:03:38

kem
Eggcornista

It is a bit of a playroom. At other times we have described it as a clubhouse. Over the last 12 years the contributors to this group have found at least 5000 eggcorn candidates—half of which, I would think, would meet even stringent requirements for eggcorn classification. We have an old thread that we use to provide some background on who hangs around here: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=1735 When and if you feel like it, you are welcome to use it.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#10 2016-11-03 21:58:13

Wordsmyth

Thank you, kem. Have read it with great interest and may add a bit of my own bio down the line.

Board footer