Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2017-07-06 05:12:13

Eltwilli

Pit in my stomach vs. I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach

Lately I see/hear the phrase, “I have a pit in my stomach” so often that I am starting to doubt my long held belief that the phrase is actually meant to refer to a feeling IN the pit of one’s stomach e.g.. “I have a scary feeling in the pit of my stomach.” When one refers to having a pit in their stomach are we to believe it is a pit from some type of fruit? I guess that would equate to a bad feeling! Help!

Word and cat lover 😺📖

#2 2017-07-06 13:28:32

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Re: Pit in my stomach vs. I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach

Welcome to the Eggcorn Forum, Eltwilli!

Pit in my stomach vs. I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach has been discussed in this forum, on this page. I recommend doing this whenever considering posting here: Go to the second search field on the Eggcorn Database page, the one marked “Google Search”, and see if your proposed eggcorn (or other treat) has already been discussed. If so, you may want to add to an existing relevant thread rather than proliferating new threads for the same eggcorn. (It took me awhile to figure this out, so now I mention it to newbies as needed to facilitate their assimilation.) Also, while “pit in my stomach” is an amusing substitution and well worth mentioning, it’s not an eggcorn, so it goes in the “Slips, innovations and reshapings” section rather than the “Contribute” section.

Enjoy the Eggcorn Forum. There are lots of nice folks here.

Board footer