Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2018-06-13 09:40:22

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"jewjew" for "juju"

Hillary has bad jewjew
political discussion

Hudson deserves some good jewjew but I’m pulling for the upstart Royals.
sports discussion

Today just blew and I can’t seem to shake it so I am hoping that if I write it all down the bad jewjew will get off of me.
blog

Sacrificial fire were gonna make some good jewjew
photo caption

Please ladies, throw a prayer or some good jewjew our way.
blog

As for the bike, 1, r/h/s mirror broken…7yrs bad jewjew (not that kind of jew) straight away !!
motorbike discussion

There seem to be about three times as many “bad jewjew” examples as “good jewjew” ones (though I didn’t search under variations such as “jew-jew” or “jew jew”). This may reflect the fact that the phrase “bad juju” is more common than “good juju”, but it may also in some instances reflect anti-semitism (people consciously or unconsciously associating badness with Jews). By the same token, those who are positively disposed toward Jews may get “good jewjew” from similar psychodynamics in the other direction. In either case, the association of Jews with juju may be strengthened by an association of Jews with spirituality and mysticism. And doesn’t “Jew”’s being a proper noun put us in Lehman territory?

#2 2018-06-13 11:50:41

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: "jewjew" for "juju"

Interesting find, Dixon. For those of us who pronounce some D’s as J’s, here’s a ‘bad due due’ variant, which perhaps suggests some arcane karmic consequence.

Took a closer look and it was a Fantail which and thought crap that is some bad due due.

sounds kinda spooky anyway finding an old card with a skeletal mermaid on it in a desk draw, its not one of those tarot cards is it. Could cause all sorts of bad due due vibes to your board.

NEVER REV A COLD ENGINE…... BAD DUE DUE O.K now the banter is over lol.

Absence of ‘good due due’ examples may confirm your suspicion that “bad juju” is simply more common than “good juju”. As for possible anti-semitism and the like, I was pleasantly surprised to stumble across the following discussion which seems to cover ground which may not need further retreading. https://tinyurl.com/yaxl42c2

#3 2018-06-13 19:23:19

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Peter Forster wrote:

Absence of ‘good due due’ examples may confirm your suspicion that “bad juju” is simply more common than “good juju”.

Yeah, I searched on “bad juju” and “good juju” in the Google Ngram site and found that “bad juju” has increasingly outpaced “good juju” in recent years, to the point that there are now about ten “”bads” for each “good”.
(And no, this isn’t a comment on the Trump Presidency.)

#4 2018-06-14 01:33:18

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

Board footer