Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2019-09-25 09:43:29

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

austracize

Quite a few people spell ostracize with an initial aus sequence. It occurs in a number of more or less unsurprising variants, with austro- rather than austra- at the beginning, and – cize, -cise, -size at the end, and so on.

These cowards oppressed women and subjugated their own people. Precisely because people still austracize others due to prejudice.

Each week I felt more and more austracized and it didn’t help that my instructor would also single out my achievements

But we don’t have to austracise ‘Sikhsim’ just because our contemporary ‘Sikhs’ are bad.

I’ve apologised to him and if you guys are going to austracise me for blowing off a little steam at one of my own friends, then you’re honestly not …

[they] often have been the victim of vicious austracism, their only crime being fathered by an American.

The older men austrosize the younger men, and the differences in pubs show this. At the end of the day however, they are all still men

I hate when people austrosize others for their lifestyles or opinions

If he is extremely vindictive he will put on the good daddy act in order to convince the children to austrocize the other parent.

(Interesting use of “he” in the last example. Perhaps “generic he ” is more acceptable in such a negative context?)

Some usages betray the authors’ doubts about the validity of their spelling.

Then the G&L community wants to austracise(sp) Elton John for embracing diversity! LOL.

Anyway, a couple of questions arise in my mind. Probably not one person in a thousand has any idea of voting by means of ostraka to banish a citizen, though the idea of shunning or banishment is still there. But

(1) does the spelling austr(o/a) bring in the idea of remoteness, of the place of banishment? (Which Australia was, at one point in history. And Austronesia is still high on the list of prototypically remote places, at least for me.) If so, that’s rather eggcornish.

(2) Does austr(o/a) bring, perhaps via the idea of southerliness ( up North , and down South ), a notion of smallness, of belittlement? I wonder especially about the older men austrosizing the younger; if the ending size is taken as referring to their size, as paralleled for instance in downsizing , it works pretty well.

All of which, lacking perp confessions, is (as Bruce keeps reminding us) rather dubious. But it might be real for some.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2019-09-25 10:05:23)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2019-09-25 09:54:55

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: austracize

Heh. Much of this was already touched on here . I looked first: I really did!
Interesting that ostrichized brings up another Australian connection. Oustercized is very nice as well. I hadn’t thought of Austria as contributing a notion of smallness, or as a place of banishment (I think Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert, and the Alps) but I suppose that could work for some.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2019-09-25 10:00:55)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer