Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-05-02 14:46:17

jorkel
Eggcornista

Pesty/pesky

I was about to post “pesty” as an eggcorn of “pesky,” but apparently both are legitimate words meaning “troublesome, annoying.” “Pesty” seems far less common to my ear—429k ghits vs. 5,730k ghits for “pesky—but it’s there in the OED. Also, “pesky” seems to have derived from “pesty” anyway. (How ironic that I would think “pesty” is the eggcorn). Sorry if this rambling post has turned out to be nothing less than… pesky.

#2 2007-05-04 11:57:16

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: Pesty/pesky

I’m wondering whether ‘pesky’ might somehow have some connectiion with the word ‘pisky’, which is Cornish for ‘pixie’. Many Cornish went West to escape from a variety of ills and I would like to think of this as some tiny survival of their language and culture. That doesn’t make it true of course, but the traditional role and attributes of these little creatures seems strangely appropriate…

Pisky is Cornish for Pixie. To be “pisky”- led is to be led around in circles and have your shoelaces tied together. If you were really unlucky, ...
pisky.net/ – 23k – Cached

#3 2007-05-07 13:37:27

tannerpittman

Re: Pesty/pesky

I still say you’re on to an eggcorn.

Board footer