Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2006-02-06 22:48:16

klakritz
Eggcornista

'liederhosen' for 'lederhosen'

If lederhosen are leather pants, liederhosen must be singing pants. This would be a mere mallapropism rather than an eggcorn except for some crusty cliches in the back of my mind abou yodeling shepherds in short pants. Surprisingly common- about 9,000 ghits:

Liederhosen….. They’re not just for Octoberfest anymore!
www.webcastle.com/FauxPas/gallery/FauxPas.cfm?FPID=62

Will Ferrrell as the Nazi-adhering, liederhosen-wearing playwright Liebkind, and Uma Thurman as the Swedish sex goddess and office temp Ulla…
www.theage.com.au/articles/ 2006/01/12/1136956293918.html

Suddenly we see a shepherd dressed in liederhosen and holding a shepherd’s crook; ... He has a copy of “My Pet Goat” tucked into his liederhosen.
www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/10/24/wolf/index.html

We can’t even enjoy a theme park thrill ride, unless we wear liederhosen and sing It’s a Small World as gondolas full of tall people pass by…
blamebush.typepad.com/blamebush/2005/03/skool_daze.html

You crazy Aussie with your aborginals and venomous spiders. You crazy swiss with your clocks and your liederhosen.
www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=180579&page=2

Pouty waitresses wore drindls, a man walked around with an accordian and liederhosen…
epizootic.blogspot.com/

#2 2006-02-19 20:19:40

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: 'liederhosen' for 'lederhosen'

Being an unassimilated foreign word in English is apparently a hard life. I found this sentence a couple of nights ago while reading the story “Renderings” in the The James Sallis Reader (p. 269):

She wore a leiderhosen sort of thing, of old leather or something much like it, over a long-sleeved white shirt.

“Leid” means “sorrow, grief” in German; the -er suffix is problematic, but “leiderhosen” sounds like it should mean something along the lines of “socks of sorrow.”

#3 2006-03-08 16:36:14

ukexpat

Re: 'liederhosen' for 'lederhosen'

“Mallapropism”? Surely you mean “malapropism”?

Board footer