Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-06-13 11:37:25

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

lamblast, blambast, blamblast, lambash

Lambaste is an odd word, and its meaning certainly collocates with the explosive meanings of blast, blam (??), bash etc. (bang, bam, blare, blow, bluster, etc.) So these are not surprising:

We get blamblasted for looking at the world the way we do.

You trolled a fight and got blamblasted, but I forgave your ignorance. You are trolling now, and all you will get is my pity.

Sarojeni blambasted TNCs such as Monsanto, Aventis and Bayer for perpetuating and intensifying world hunger by undermining food
security and food sovereignty.

It’s unfortunate that women still can’t make an informed decision without lamblasted and condemend to hell for it.

his major painting Luxe I was lamblasted by other critics

It is so easy to make a career out of lamblasting the ideas of others and never come up with anything constructive.

This is the LAST thing I ever order from you people. I will lamblast you on every bulletin board and consumer complaint area I can
find.

[trying to get a better job, where she won’t have all these awful co-workers who go around] lambashing each other [all the time.

The fact of the matter is that Clinton has raked in millions doing these same speaking tours your are lambashing Giuliani for doing.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2008-06-13 11:42:02)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2008-06-14 13:02:44

kem
Eggcornista

Re: lamblast, blambast, blamblast, lambash

Of the permutations, I like “lambashing” best. Funny!

In the old 2005 forum, lamblast and land blasted were noted. You can find these old postings by doing a search from home page in the Google search box, or you can duplicate the Google search box results by going to the Google.com site and typing “site:eggcorns.lascribe.net X” in their search box (where X is a word to find, such as “lambaste”).

Many new posters fail to find some of these earlier posts. I wouldn’t worry about it—in most cases the new posts introduce new information and bring expressions back into the discussion stream that are well worth reviewing.

Some users report that the Google box does not always seem to work. I think the problem is that the HTML form code for the box decrees that the search results open in a new window/tab with the name “google_window.” The first time you do a search using this box, the new window/tab is opened, the focus switches to the new window, and you see the results If you don’t close the window/tab, however, the next time you do a Google search from the home page the process works in a slightly different way: the results are posted to the opened window/tab, but the focus remains on the Google home page with the search box, making the user think that nothing has happened.

Last edited by kem (2008-06-14 13:05:30)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2008-06-14 13:07:09

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Thanks, Kem, that should be helpful. I’ve messed up a couple of times trying to find whether something had been discussed already.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2012-08-31 19:37:07

David Bird
Eggcornista

I’m excited for boxing you, even though I know I will be lamb-pasted once you get into it.
Australian family reunion

the sight of businessmen and industrialists climbing onto the recent bandwagon of lamb-pasting the Army is ludicrous.
http://www.sehgalfamily.com/?p=2774

My mom said, “If I catch you standing on the swings ONE MORE TIME, so help me, I will lamb-baste you!” (I always thought it was “lamb-pasting” and was confused as to why someone would make paste out of a lamb.)
http://lifestyle.msn.com/messageboards/ … 003b886e01

You can make a paste out of just about anything. I think lamb pasting would be more like pummeling an innocent. Here are links to Peter’s “lamb basted” and especially lambbastard, also land blasted, landblast, lamblast, and the database’s lamblast and landblast.

The origin of “lambaste” colourfully exposed by The Word Detective:

“On the lam” has been popular American slang for “on the run” since at least the latter part of the 19th century. The root of “lam” is the Old Norse word “lamja,” meaning “to make lame,” and the original meaning of “lam,” when it first appeared in English back in the 16th century, was “to beat soundly.” The English word “lame” is from the same source, as is “lambaste,” a double whammy in that the “baste” part is from a Scandinavian root meaning “thrash or flog.”
The change in the meaning of “lam” from “beat” to “run away” probably echoed another slang term for running away—“beat it.” To “beat it” or “lam it” is to rapidly beat the road with one’s feet by running, just as sheep do when they smell mint sauce.
http://www.word-detective.com/112701.html

#5 2012-09-01 09:42:06

David Bird
Eggcornista

That guy with the gun was trying to act tough around my aunt. My grandma came off the stove with a full skillet of french fries and lamb based him. My aunt said the poor SOB never knew what hit him.
Nostalgia BS session

Anyway, she went straight to Mum and told her what Creepy Chris (we had ALWAYS called him Creepy Chris.. from the moment we met him) had said, and she completely lamb-based him and told him she never ever wanted to see him around us, or anywhere we were, ever again.
Body issues board

well if he wasn’t in the same industry (BB), I would’ve lamb-based him.
Tweet

I’m not sure exactly what the imagery here is.

Board footer