Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-09-24 04:17:47

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"Skiddish" for "skittish"

I just encountered “skiddish” for “skittish” for the first time in a post that showed up on a local email bulletin board yesterday:

“She comes from a feral litter and, as such, is a little skiddish, but she is very sweet and affectionate.”

It’s been mentioned on this site a couple times before, but it’s new to me and, I’m sure, to some of you, too.

Dixon

#2 2008-09-24 09:46:59

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: "Skiddish" for "skittish"

I’m guessing this is a case of misspelling (or ear spelling based on pronouncing the Ts of skittish as a D sound) more than anything else. I don’t see any evidence that the user thinks the animal referred to in the post is “skidding.” The misspelled word is used exactly as the correctly spelled one would be used.

Feeling quite combobulated.

#3 2008-09-24 10:09:02

kem
Eggcornista

The skittish/skiddish mistake is all over the net. I see some eggcorn potential. “Skiddish” conveys images of sliding around. “Skittish” can refer to being undependable, variable, restless. The semantic engine could be at work in this substitution.

Joe Krozel analyzed this substitution as an eggcorn in 2006 (http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=1180), calling attention to the phrase “put the skids on.”

Last edited by kem (2008-09-24 12:21:27)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2008-09-24 14:42:39

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

I think this could go either way—simple ear mistake, vs. ear mistake accompanied by meaning shift.

I’d need more evidence, but I think it’s got possibilities.

Because, I know what skidding is, and how out-of-control it is, but I don’t know what “skit” has to do with being jumpy or unstable.

#5 2013-07-27 05:39:19

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Here’s another example I just encountered:

Several other gentleman and I attempted to catch him but he was extremely skiddish.

Board footer