Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-10-04 08:30:41

Jewel

Ampersand for en passant

I have heard more than one person making this mistake while playing chess, but have yet to see it in text. The French term ‘en passant’, designating a chess move, is misheard as ‘ampersand,’ which is the name of the & character.

On another topic, I’ve come across several interesting eggcorns lately written by Africans, and based entirely on how their articulation realises vowels – evidence that the accent has affected the deep structure as well as the super structure of their lexicon. An example: “he is a spoiled bread” for “he is a spoiled brat.” Is this its own class of eggcorn?

(P.S. I myself am South African, the eggcorns were gathered on the website of Big Brother Africa III, which is visited by the entire continent.)

Last edited by Jewel (2008-10-04 08:31:44)

#2 2008-10-05 17:09:22

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Ampersand for en passant

We had a short thread on this issue at http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=2472

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer