Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2015-10-31 01:13:20

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

"self-reverential" for "self-referential"

Although this google Ngram indicates that self-referential is hugely more common than self-reverential and probably predates it too (thus reinforcing the impression of the former as acorn of the latter), I must acknowledge that most examples of self-reverential I found in my online sampling were either clearly meant to refer to actual self-reverence (not just self-reference) or ambiguous in that respect. I did, however, find a few examples that seem to point to self-reverential as an eggcorn of self-referential:

In the case of “Jurassic World,” you mount a self-reverential sequel laced with allusions to earlier episodes in which you even go so far as to point out how dinosaurs don’t capture people’s imaginations to the degree they once used to.
movie review

As Scream’s Randy Meeks, the dorky, motor-mouthed one who gives the film its self-reverential running commentary, so helpfully explained, if you want to survive in a horror movie then you have to abide by three essential rules…
another movie review

...his eventual performance of ‘Mexican Radio’ is not as inspired (who can blame him?) as the rest, and I would have preferred how i saw it back in ‘06: a tex mex rendition, implying a sort of self reverential nostaligia for the song and the period it was from…
review of a live album by the great Stan Ridgway

Even better, one of the more recent selections, the sweetly self-reverential “Old Habits Die Hard,” proves Jagger can still muster genius when required with a snap of his skinny fingers.
record review

Fans of Aaron Sorkin’s rapid-fire dialogue, self-reverential monologues and broadly drawn female protagonists will get every quip, demand, aside and traveling camera shot in comedian Amy Schumer’s “Newsroom” parody clip, “The Foodroom.”
TV show review

#2 2015-10-31 09:17:49

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "self-reverential" for "self-referential"

This one is so good it hurts. It is too often true that the “good self-image” movement results in an unrealistic self-image that takes any criticism as a kind of blasphemy. Chesterton (to my mind) called it right: “sin — a fact as practical as potatoes.”
Somehow the back-to-back errors here struck my funny-bone especially well:

self reverential nostaligia

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2015-10-31 09:19:31)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2015-11-02 11:05:35

David Bird
Eggcornista

Not quite a self-referential eggcorn, but an eggcorn of self-referential. This is sufficient excuse for a collection of some self-iconic entries on this forum:

confusionism
misconscrew
debotchery
go hairwire
allturnative
sleep of the tongue
innaccurism
rumbustious
redonedone
misknowmer
misquote for mosquito
faux paux
streamlining for online streaming
unbiguous, unbigious
ad homonym
overwriting
combind

Last edited by David Bird (2015-11-02 14:35:46)

#4 2015-11-02 13:52:27

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I don’tknow how I missed sleep of the tongue ! First class!
You’ll pardon (I hope) the self-reverential promotion, since it is revelant

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2015-11-02 15:16:52

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

OMG! Stop, Birdman, you’re killing me!!! LOL!!!!!!

David Bird wrote:

Not quite a self-referential eggcorn, but an eggcorn of self-referential. This is sufficient excuse for a collection of some self-iconic entries on this forum:

confusionism
misconscrew
debotchery
go hairwire
allturnative
sleep of the tongue
innaccurism
rumbustious
redonedone
misknowmer
misquote for mosquito
faux paux