Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2011-06-23 03:58:50

burred
Eggcornista

Letterate eggcorns

Individual letters can be at the business, or the receiving, end of an eggcorn transaction. Here are some hits I’m aware of from the forum (ok, some are only glancing blows):

Aself a steam
Bb-line << beeline
Csea section << c-section
PP-nut butter
Tteatotaller<<teetotaller

There are surely others.

QLanguageHat’s blog gets into the origin of the Q-tip.

They give the etymology of Q-tip as “the initial letter of QUALITY n. + TIP n.” and then add in small type: “The product was app. invented in 1923 by Leo Gerstenzang, a Polish-born American, who initially named them Baby Gays. In 1926 the name was changed to Q-tips Baby Gays, and later shortened to Q-tips.” I’ll bet they thank their lucky stars every day that Gerstenzang decided to change the name.

Thousands of hits see the Q-tip as a “cue-tip”, as if you were rooting in the cranial side pocket with a pool cue.

U — now that youtube, you can also hang a youturn.

News comment
To do a youturn that costs a persons life is dangerous driving causing death and the officer should be prosecuted

#2 2011-09-14 21:29:47

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: Letterate eggcorns

A ... Back in my A Day ... instead of “heyday”
British schoolgirl, picture 4 of 366

F ... you f-feminate loser
Snippet from http://edwards2008.hi5.com/friend/group/153370
C.N.I. ... for seeing eye. In Canada the vision-impaired are helped by the nonprofit CNIB – the Canadian National Institute for the Blind. This may be a coincidence. There are, however, many apparently genuine hits for “C.N.I. dog”.

It’s great how u of t is accessible, but the first time there’s a cni dog in one of my classes it was barking in its sleep
Tweet snippet

Bender says “They’re my lucky shades. I stole them off some lucky guy while his lucky CNI dog was taking a wiz.”
Quoting Futurama

I bought the regular Iphone thinking it would have some sort of braille feature for people such as myself. My CNI dog is typing this for me.
Yahoo questions

When asked what breed of dog she had written on an info sheet the clerk in question stated “When I axed him he said “I don’t really knows, my dad be blind and we gots a CNI dog”, so thats what I wrote down.”......”CNI dog”
Job quote

I’ve heard people say ‘CNI dog’ instead of ‘seeing-eye dog’, ‘hip displeasure’ instead of ‘hip dysplasia’, and ‘ortopsy’ instead of ‘autopsy’. Thankfully, I don’t hear them often. How prevalent are these incorrect words where you are?
The Straight Dope

Don’t let the blind, lead the blind! Get a C.N.I. dog or something!
Blog tag

Edit: Another eggcorn on the reinforced F-feminate sort is “C-change”, from 2006.

Last edited by David Bird (2011-10-01 12:26:50)

#3 2011-09-15 02:47:35

kem
Eggcornista

We’ve discussed individual letters in these two cases:

D – “adore” lost its interior “d” in the middle ages and got it back in the Renaissance; amir >> admiral by way of “ad” hypercorrection

N – nadder >> adder and all the other n-droppers and n-losers

But you are looking for cases in which the letter says its own name, yes?

Last edited by kem (2011-09-15 02:48:07)

#4 2011-09-15 08:45:16

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Products manufacturing and supplying of snooker billiards pool table & accessories, snooker table mat, balls, q-stick …

***Olhausen 7ft. pool table & Accessories- […] The price includes, q sticks, bridge, q stick rack, block chalk, balls and rack. ...

It is, of course, pretty hard to be sure that people are not doing this kind of thing on purpose, as a shorthand / creative spelling technique. There is plenty of precedent for that.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#5 2011-12-16 18:03:05

burred
Eggcornista

L presents an L of a lot of opportunities from words borrowed from the Moors.

Tristan smiled softly as they came around a bed, to a little l-cove on the lake edge. “This is where all the big fish are.”
Group fan fic

One day someone must needs return to this cove. Alcove and cove do not have the same root, apparently, the one Arabic, the other proto High German, though that really strains one’s credulity.

#6 2012-03-15 14:05:39

burred
Eggcornista

I should have remembered the el bone.

#7 2012-11-16 05:17:07

David Bird
Eggcornista

X

Their love is unbreakable. That might sound some what romantic, but when you see the image of two young teens groping and “snogging”you begin to vomit. Let me just say no one knows this girl very well, but what we do know of her we do not like. Her X boyfriends call her a prude and a slut.
http://www.dstewsfml.blogspot.ca/

If I pray everyday will my x boyfriend come back?
http://www.ask.com/answers/16027501/ja- … =dir&jss=0

My boyfriend on whose forehead I have drawn a big X.

#8 2012-11-22 05:36:43

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

David Bird quoted:

Her X boyfriends call her a prude and a slut.
http://www.dstewsfml.blogspot.ca/

These “X” boyfriends sound very confused.

#9 2014-07-17 07:40:13

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

And speaking of “X” boyfriends, here’s the example I stumbled upon yesterday:

My X boyfriend has finished school and left for Saudi Arabia.
an ‘x’hibitionist’s story

Board footer