Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2012-12-08 09:10:42

burred
Eggcornista

It's a fata complete

The Database harbours fate accompli. This is a complement, a fate a complete. Accomplish and complete come from the same root, but anyone who says fate-a-complete is unlikely to be trying to draw attention to that point. A solution to the redundant a is to invoke a fata complete, though they don’t seem to be referring to an apparition.

Done…....fate’a-complete’
http://www.experienceproject.com/storie … ge/1432362

However, just because one has a positive family history of some medical or psychological condition, this is not a fate a complete.
http://www.ablevillage.com/articles/578

In his twisted mind he realised that sometimes taking their lives due to the circumstances was a ‘fate a complete’.
http://books.google.ca/books?id=sAyiqK1 … 22&f=false

I wish I could feign surprise but I knew this would happen. Giving the rubber stamp to the disastrous legislation was a fata complete.
Obamacare

The forum has tempt fate>>tempt faith, and leap of faith>>leap of fate. It was a know brainer to look for a faith accompli.

Posters to this message board are so snakebite that its almost a faith-acompli for them
Investment board

You ever wonder about these militia groups? Survivalist-type kooks on the right wing side? They say they’re defending the country from U.N. troops. These guys are yelling so loud, my theory is that this is a conspiracy, pal—they ARE the U.N. troops, and they’re in place. The infrastructure’s ready, it’s a faith accompli.
Movie quotes

#2 2012-12-08 11:08:56

kem
Eggcornista

Re: It's a fata complete

“Faith accompli.” A baptized idiom.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2012-12-12 19:21:46

burred
Eggcornista

Re: It's a fata complete

Some sort of David Tuggyian epiphany descended briefly upon me and I went looking for one of those tasty little oxymorons as a solution to the redundant a in a fate a complete, yielding a fate incomplete. There were three hits, one of them a transcript, and the other two quite interesting. Both fait accompli and fate incomplete make sense in context.

Customer Reply
This is not working. I really need to find another source.
Response From Expert
Did you try the suggested solution?
Customer Reply
This is a fate incomplete; I am preparing to physically take both devices to an Apple technician.
Setting up a router

constantly being told throughout my childhood that I had been rescued by her and my father. And always I’d feel like some, you know, fate incomplete; that I made their life— that they had rescued me from the gutter and I would be, you know—I had to be really good to live up to what they had done for me
A sorted past: Adoptee’s stories

Board footer