Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2014-05-19 13:39:55

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

loathe these many years

If this really inadvertent and standard for someone, it’s a good eggcorn. But with only a few examples, I suspect cleverness is the motivation for most if not all of them.

We don’t need uber prospects or all star players at every position. What we need to avoid doing is having terrible production at multiple spots in the lineup, which is in part why our offense has been in the bottom tier of the leagues for loathe these many years. So, having a guy like Scott or Sherrill around isn’t the end of the world, it’s more that acquiring those guys should come at the cost of more minor players,

Maybe the 2500 people that were there today? Maybe all the people who have posted about it for loathe these many years? It doesn’t affect …

THAT’S EXACTLY HOW I FELT LOATHE THESE MANY YEARS. >>DAVID MECHANIK: ANY OTHER COMMENTS FROM BOARD MEMBERS?

[discussion transcript, USNavy 71st Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards (ACRS) – April 5, 2000:] So it’s one of the reasons that we plunged into the details so much on that previous study. We turn now to a very interesting topic, one that’s been near and dear to the heart of the ACRS for loathe these many years, and that’s digital instrumentation and control at nuclear power plants. Professor Uhrig, I think you’re going to lead us into this and plans for research in this area.

I’ve had some stupid handles over the loathe these many years too, doesn’t mean i didn’t know what i was talking about or was faking things.

to put on a good face after their ridiculous performances both on and off the field loathe these many years, you miss the point.

The negative contexts of some or most of these (with the ACRS example a likely exception) at once provide semantic motivation for the eggcorn if it is one (the situation’s been ongoing during years of disgust), or justify the punning, if that is what people are doing.

Other usages are clearly involving the verb “loathe” functioning outside the “these many years” phrase (though conceivably blending into it as well). e.g.

Only if you assume he’ll actually – […] – perform his job in anything more than the same sloth-like manner we’ve come to expect and loathe these many years.

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2014-05-19 13:41:31)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#2 2014-05-19 17:35:37

burred
Eggcornista

Re: loathe these many years

Loathe for lo works well in loathe and behold in some circumstances, although again it could easily be intentional. Some of the hits look genuine. Since lo and behold is mostly used ironically, the eggcorn fits.

And loathe and behold im more “hardcore” than anyone I know.
depression board

I put them on again and loathe and behold they did not fit as well.
blog about pants

Loathe and behold, I see this guy waiving to me from a Catamaran, I thought “cool”, and immediately afterward I saw another Canadian motorcyclist
travel blog

I began looking for an eddy in the river banks formed by brick buildings loathe and behold, up ahead at a 4 way intersection I saw my opportunity and tucked myself behind a building
same travel blog, another page

I have a friend who bought a ps3 and decided that me3 would be his first game and loathe and behold he has the same issues.
gamers

We might add it to the list of ways to mangle ‘lo and behold’. See also this and this. And maybe this.

#3 2014-05-19 20:29:32

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

burred wrote:

Loathe for lo works well in loathe and behold in some circumstances, although again it could easily be intentional.

It lacks the beauty of the th- [ð] spreading backwards to make the -the ending of the first word, but it still works very well.

#4 2014-05-19 20:30:50

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

It can of course be spelled loath :

In other words, ministers and the Palestinian Legislative Council that was constituted, loath these many years ago, and has not been reelected since, is actually …

they promise it won’t happen next year. And loath and behold it starts to freeze again next year and nobody saw it bloody coming?

I suppose loth is a possibility too. Sure enough, quite a few of these:

I stick my head out to see who this person could be and loth and behold its Zach. “What the hell are you doing?” I whisper loudly so only he can …

On Christmas my girlfriend and I exchanged presents, and loth and behold I got skylanders megapack! I put in the game, popped in the portal to the usb and was …

But only one (the elusive gnonce!) of this:

For loth these many years And kept us all in doubt and fear, ! But at last we know the date | On which our Pearle will meet he, fate, Then a knock was heard

#5 2014-05-21 04:05:28

kem
Eggcornista

A living language makes an idiom nest. A cuckoo lays eggcorns in it.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer