Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-10-20 21:37:53

JonW719
Eggcornista

Favorite eggcorn forum submission

What is your favorite eggcorn forum submission (to date)? I can tell you that mine is “comuffins,” submitted by klakritz. http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=2365

If you have a favorite (i.e., one), true eggcorn or not, add it to this topic. We’ve had some very entertaining ones!

Feeling quite combobulated.

#2 2008-10-20 22:15:16

klakritz
Eggcornista

Re: Favorite eggcorn forum submission

All-time favorite is too hard a choice, but among the submissions of the last month or so I especially like ‘day view’ for ‘debut.’

#3 2008-10-20 22:39:34

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

I’m kind of partial to those lipness tests.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2008-10-21 01:36:11

patschwieterman
Administrator

Hafta agree with Ken: “dayview” beats all comers in recent months.

Going back to June or so, I’d also mention Ken’s own “revisitism” and David Vinson’s “untilmatum” relayed by Kem.

#5 2008-10-21 14:20:58

kem
Eggcornista

Little early for the “best of the year” Christmas list, isn’t it? The Halloween decorations are still up.

In the last couple of months Ken has posted three that were extra sweet:

“The plot sickens,” http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=3239

“Lump and proletariat,” http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=3206

“Fridge benefits,” http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … hp?id=3149

Last edited by kem (2008-10-21 14:22:37)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#6 2008-10-21 23:59:01

patschwieterman
Administrator

I too hope that our jumping the gum doesn’t create a sticky mess where no one feels like posting best-ofs in January. But it’s darn hard to keep from mentioning faves when someone asks.

I think that all three of those are among the more entertaining reshapings posted recently, but none of them is a perfect eggcorn for me. The first is usually a pun (even obviously so in some of Ken’s citations—though others may be authentic). “Lump and” passes, I think, but it’s a bit awkward. And I go back and forth on “fridge benefits.” Could those people really have been thinking consciously about refrigerators? Sure, food would be a useful benefit and all, but it seems a bit oblique. (I didn’t intend to be such a dogged provocateur this week….)

#7 2008-10-22 09:22:04

JonW719
Eggcornista

Did we post best-ofs last January? Besides, this isn’t a “best-of” thread but our favorites. We can do a real best-of in January if anyone would like to start one. For me, comuffins literally made me laugh out loud. So that’s what I was going for here. (Some stores have had Christmas stuff out since Labor Day, so why not get an early start on our year-end frivolity?) :-)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#8 2008-10-22 16:12:49

kem
Eggcornista

Pat-Admittedly the three I mentioned are not the most elegant eggcorns, but they are still eggcorns (If you question this, we should go back to the relevant threads and pick up the discussions. I reviewed the web citations on all three of these before my post and I’m convinced that at least some web page authors offer them seriously and with new imagery.) What these three lack in elegance they make up for, in my opinion, with humor, novelty and sheer perversity.

On issues of perfection and elegance, I defer to my California colleagues. I wouldn’t know a double latte with dairy cream and twist of lemon from a cup of cold Nescafe.

Last edited by kem (2008-10-22 16:15:16)

#9 2008-10-22 17:17:19

patschwieterman
Administrator

Kem—I think it’s pretty hard to be sure that any instances of “the plot sickens” aren’t puns. (This comment seems on-topic to me for this thread, but if you want to offer a more in-depth analysis on Ken’s thread, I’ll be happy to respond at greater length there.)

Kem wrote,

On issues of perfection and elegance, I defer to my California colleagues. I wouldn’t know a double latte with dairy cream and twist of lemon from a cup of cold Nescafe.

Ha! I guess that shows how portable regional stereotypes are. This caffeine-negative California native couldn’t tell you exactly what a double latte is. (I don’t surf or drive, either.) I associate fancy coffees with the Great Northwest—uh, near you, Kem.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2008-10-22 17:22:14)

#10 2008-10-22 23:03:18

kem
Eggcornista

Your’re right, Pat-there are a lot of fancy coffee shops around here. What do you suppose they do in those places? Is the recent surge in posts on this board fueled by people with laptops listening in on caffeine propelled conversations?

Board footer