Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2009-12-15 22:26:44

David Bird
Eggcornista

"clear the ballot" for the Eggcorn wine list

Kem noted that English is just French mispronounced. No reason to let the 13th century farm folk have all the fun – let’s see what we’re drinking this year in the wine cave.

Thanksgiving wine list
I do like a white available for those who prefer it with fowl. So I’ve leaned toward flinty sauvignon blancs. The concept is clear the ballot from gravy, biscuit, butter overload.
(http://www.foodbanter.com/wine/139346-b … inner.html)

Merlot or Cabinet Sauvignon? Am I the only one that finds Cabinet gives them headaches?
(http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1076415)

Wine country tour
We stopped occasionally along the road to taste sweet black pignon noir grapes that melted in our mouths.
(http://www.thericehouse.com/joy/Holiday … 201999.htm)

Best Thanksgiving wines
Pinot Noix is important so trendy people can feel trendy.
(http://www.foodbanter.com/wine/139346-b … inner.html)

Note also cleanse the palette, wet the palette, mould wine and glue wine.

Edited to insert the acorns for easier future searches: Cabernet, palate, pinot noir

Last edited by David Bird (2009-12-15 22:46:10)

#2 2009-12-16 00:19:56

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

Re: "clear the ballot" for the Eggcorn wine list

Sinfandel and Petty Sarah for me. Both are easily googled/binged and it seems that Petty Sarah even has a history:

“However according to reputation, “Petty Sarah” as the old timers called it, can have a rather tempermental personality.”

from http://www.caninoridge.com/caninoridgevineyard2009.html

PS There’s a lot of “fruity on the pallet” and “well-rounded on the pallet” and the like, too. Nice for the truck-drivers and the fork-lift operators.

Last edited by JuanTwoThree (2009-12-16 03:10:31)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#3 2009-12-16 21:32:52

David Bird
Eggcornista

Fruity on the pallet! For those who buy in real bulk.

Emerald eyes stared intently at the tanker of ale he held in his hand
(http://www.fictionpress.com/s/1588243/1/Godlike)

#4 2009-12-16 23:21:54

kem
Eggcornista

If you’ve exhausted the wine options, have a go at mixed drinks.

The late Douglas Adams starts us off with the passage from The Restaurant at the End of the Universe in which he describes the ultimate transcendental eggcorn: http://www.ginntonic.org/

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#5 2009-12-17 01:21:54

patschwieterman
Administrator

Ken contributed “tankered” for “tankard” on the older version of the Forum, but I don’t think anyone ever before posted the more obvious tankard>>tanker reshaping, which turns out to be fairly common. And surprisingly, the etymological rule doesn’t seem to apply. The origins of both words are murky, but “tank” may (or may not) be related to languages of the Indian subcontinent perhaps mediated by Portuguese and other languages, and tankard may be a Middle Dutch transposition of Latin cantharus. Both are pretty cool, and I had no idea that tank’s origins were so mysterious.

Here’s the OED etymology for “tankard”:

[= MDu., Du. tanckaert = kitte, L. obba, cantharus (= sense 2 below), (Kilian); also F. tanquart, pl. tanquars (Rabelais). Ulterior history unknown: ? transposition of *kantar(d, cantharus.]

Here’s the OED etymology for “tank”:

[In sense 1, perh. immediately from an Indian vernacular: cf. Guz. tankh an underground reservoir for water (Shakespear), tanki a reservoir of water, a small well (Wilson); Marathi tanken, taken, a reservoir of water, a tank (Wilson); tanka a cistern of stone inside a house, etc., a reservoir for rain-water: words which some would connect with Skr. tadaga pond, lake, pool; others think that they are all derived from Pg. tanque pond = Sp. estanque, F. étang: L. stagnum pond, pool, with which at least the Indian words were identified by the Portuguese, who even in the Roteiro de Vasco da Gama and through the 16th c. applied tanque to the Indian reservoirs, called also in Fr. estang (Pyrard de Laval c 1610). The 17th c. Eng. forms tanque and tanke appear to be taken from the Pg.; tanck, tank, on the other hand, with It. tancho (Varthema 1510), may have been from Guz. tankh. As to the Eng. use in senses 1b and 2, it is not clear whether this came from Anglo-Indian usage, or was immediately related to Pg. tanque. It could scarcely arise out of earlier Eng. or Sc. stank ‘pond, fish-pond, stagnant pool, ditch’, since this never in sense approached that of tank.]
[I’ve removed code for macrons to make my life easier.]

I kinda wish David’s “tanker” contribution weren’t buried in this thread—it’s worthy of its own spotlight.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2009-12-17 01:27:47)

#6 2010-06-11 09:58:14

David Bird
Eggcornista

Wine making
I tried the Merlot, Carbonate Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Shiraz, Zinfandel and Chocolat Port.

Popping Corks wine review
1 of 5 stars : FRANZIA BROTHERS WINERY white zinfidel

#7 2010-08-14 11:19:38

David Bird
Eggcornista

May I suggest a crisp white wine to relax with?

Fave drinx forum
mmmm….baliey’s on ice…and fav wine is peace porter

Food & wine questions
I am looking for a wine called JP Peace Porter. Can you please tell me where I can buy it?

Wine suggestions
coppermoon makes a lovely wine! Peace porter for a white, painted turtle, it’s kind of a trial and error!

Acorn: Piesporter

After getting clunked in the head with a spam barrage today (Jenn carries “Bottega Veneta”, don’t you know), I went looking for another white:

NYC Bistro wine cellar
Pinot Grigio, Bottega Vinega $33

Last edited by David Bird (2010-08-14 14:59:30)

#8 2015-04-05 04:00:41

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

I had some kind of magnificent entree that featured veal, crab, and asparagus that wasn’t quite Veal Oscar, or maybe it was. It came in a cream and wine sauce. I accidentally ordered the wrong wine (Peanut Noir instead of Peanut Grigio with my veal and crab), so they let me drink my mistake for free. I highly recommend this place for a very fancy and romantic supper at a fraction of the lunch prices of Bordino’s.

All the other ghits for Peanut Grigio are tongue-in-cheek and I suspect this may be some kind of running joke too.

#9 2015-04-05 09:43:19

David Bird
Eggcornista

Had Peanut Noir wine for the first time today…
gamer chat

* swirls glass – dips in nose * mm-hmm, I get subtle notes of charred peanut…

This one is clearly genuine. The original poster asked how to edit the title of the post, which wasn’t possible – just like this site. To get to peanut, it must be a mondegreen, so someone else would have pronounced it with a hard t. Or someone has some knowledge of French, where pinot is not too far from pinotte.

#10 2015-04-05 11:55:27

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

I guess “pineau noir” is only just about an eggcorn. Pineau is grape juice mixed with brandy to make a Mistelle whereas Pinot is the word in front of Noir, Gris or Chardonnay, and perhaps more words. If I’m not wrong they are pronounced the same so if the etymology of both is the same then it’s a close one.

Would the t be pronounced in, say “Pinot est gris ou noir”?

Board footer